Sunday, February 7, 2010

Passion for Fashion PR




Since I can remember I have always been interested in the fashion world and how it works. When I was little I thought I could own my own clothing line and buy out the other competing lines of Gucci and Prada. This dream came to an end once I figured out I did not have the talent for sewing or designing clothes so I began to turn my interest to public relations for my next career move.  Though I am majoring in communications with specializations in PR and marketing, I feel I can still include my passion for fashion. Last week, my teacher introduced me to CHIQ.com, a creative fashion and accessory interactive website.  Through this website, I became interested in how PR works for fashion. I researched this question and found a great website that answered all my questions and gave me insight into what my future might bring.
PR Couture is a Fashion PR website that posts blogs from PR professionals and people within the fashion industry. These blog posts are featured on the website to help others within the same field. The website provides a vast amount of information from new fashion PR jobs and internship opportunities to tips about new ways to use twitter for the company you work for. There was one post I read today, “Should Fashion Brands Hire For Social Media Marketing”. This educated me on how brands hire agencies and consultants instead of using in house PR people depending on the size of the company.
I looked around the website for hours to find more tips I could use.  I found another helpful post about “Marie Claire’s Twitter Strategy and Fashion PR Pitch Tips”. This post included an interview with Marie Claire’s Senior Web Editor Ashley Parrish and Web Associate Diana Vilibert, as they explained their success with Twitter. They explained that their tactics for this social media outlet is to provide information but also engage in conversation.  They made the point of stating:
“Aside from being informative and interesting, Twitter is not the place to go to talk AT your readers, so it’s equally important to start and join conversations, to answer questions, and to retweet our followers when they post something interesting or relevant”.
They were surprised that Twitter could cause such a buzz but they used it to their advantage and now they have made their company successful in the social media world.
The website PR Couture is a great place to find these blog posts and learn about the world of Fashion PR. I have already become a member of this site and maybe someday I will post my tactic for using the next social media tool. I encourage everyone to research sites like this because they are very interesting and they provide tips of the trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment