Sunday, February 28, 2010

Podcasting- The Tips I have Learned



This week we learned about the wonderful world of podcasting.  I never really understood what podcasting was until about a year ago. To be honest, I thought it was having a video or the visual content of a radio show.  This is completely wrong. Podcasting is like a radio show but anyone can do it. We played around with the software to create podcasts and my class and I were surprised how much work went into this. There are many tools and techniques for editing the podcast and making it sound professional. Some classmates and I rented the microphone and recorder to play with how to start a podcast. It was interesting how we felt comfortable messing up our words because we knew we could edit them out. We also talked in a normal speaking volume but also knew that we could adjust our volume with the click of a button. I wanted to learn some tips of the trade before our group did our first podcast. Here are some tips for doing a great podcast:
  1. Get a good Microphone: This can make all the difference from a good podcast to a great one. Kevin Yank, a highly respected technical author says, “Good podcasting microphones are directional, which is to say they capture sound from directly in front of them, and not the various hums and echoes in the rest of the room. A really good microphone can make your voice sound more pleasing than it does in real life!”
  2. Pick a good space, Quiet room: This is essential to the recording of a podcast because background noise is hard to cut out on podcasting software. Blank walls, big windows, large tabletops, and hardwood floors all create echoes that can completely ruin that “up close and personal” sound you’re going for. Look for places with thick carpets, drawn curtains, and soft furniture, as they are all excellent echo absorbers.
  3. Prepare, but do not read your script: Make sure you are prepared but when you are recording, act as if it is a conversation. Your audience does not want to hear a boring monotone interview or broadcast. Make it fun!
  4. Keep it simple: I thought of this tip because when I listen to podcasts I do not want to be overwhelmed with too many sounds and jingles. This takes away from the content of your podcast and is distracting to the listener.

I am excited to make my first podcast this week with my peers Ally Hugg and Courtney Medford. Hopefully following these tips can help us on our way to becoming professional podcasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment